Knowle Masonic Centre/ Solihull Masonic Temple Ltd History


As you enter the entrance hall of Knowle Masonic Centre on your left is The Foundation Stone which is the only remaining piece of Middlefield Hospital. Laid by Lord Leigh P.C, P.G.M. of Warwickshire in 1872. Above the stone is a framed summons showing the procession which took place from the Masonic Hall New St. Birmingham to Snow Hill Railway Station where they all boarded a train to Knowle.
On arriving at Knowle station they all processed down to Middle Field Hospital to lay the Foundation Stone.

The Foundation Stone which is located in the entrance hall of Knowle Masonic Centre is the only remaining piece of Middlefield Hospital. Laid by the Masons in 1872.
Hidden Lives Remembered explored the Hospital - which had various names over the years, notably asylum as shown in the photos above, the name was changed to home.
Jennifer - Heritage Treasures Day made a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMZftvksxcs



The Forming of Solihull Masonic Temple.
Following the First World War there was an influx of Members into Freemasonry particularly into Forest of Avon Lodge No 2133, which at that time was the only Lodge in Solihull. In 1920 the membership of the Lodge reached a total of 68 with others wishing to join. At a meeting of the members in November 1920 it was agreed to limit the number of members to 70. Subsequently, that set the founding of a new Lodge, The David Garrick Lodge No 4243, based in Stratford upon Avon.
In early in 1924 when W.Bro. William Hand, P.P.A.G.D.C., who was a Past Master of Cosmopolitan Lodge No. 3391 first mooted the idea of founding a new Lodge in the village, as it was then, of Solihull.
The legend states that it was on a wet and windy night that a number of the Solihull Masons, having attended a Lodge meeting in Birmingham, were walking back home up the Warwick Road from Acocks Green where the tram service terminated, that the new Lodge was first suggested. Whether this is true we do not know but in 1924 W.Bro. Hand had discussions with a number of Solihull Masons and the idea of a new Lodge in the Town was born.
The Forest of Arden Lodge No.3826 had a membership which would not permit any considerable influx of joining members or new initiates. Having successfully Consecrated The David Garrick Lodge, only a few years earlier, were willing to become sponsors of a proposed new Lodge.
There was not any Assembly Rooms for Masonic purposes, not only for the meeting itself but also for the Festive Board. Attendances for meetings at that time averaged 60 to 70, sometimes over 100. The Forest of Arden Lodge, which had been consecrated in 1919, held its meetings at the old Solihull Council House and Assembly Rooms in Poplar Road (as subsequently did Shenstonian Lodge No.5544, consecrated in 1935)
W.Bro. W.H. Whitehouse, the proprietor of The George Hotel, facing St Alphege Church at the end of the High Street, also owned an old barn adjacent to the Hotel. After many conversations with him by W.Bro. Hand, supported by Bro. Herbert Sutton, persuaded W.Bro. Whitehouse to build a Masonic Hall on the site.
Meeting Places
The first Town Hall in Solihull was completed in 1848. Situated on The Square, on a site which had previously been part of St Alphege's Churchyard. In the early 1870s a small group of local businessmen formed a private company to erect and operate a more substantial public hall: the site they selected was on the east side of what was then Poplar Road which connected Warwick Road and the High Street.
In ithe early years of Silhill Lodge met at the old Solihull Town Hall in Poplar Road (centre), adjacent to Lloyds Bank and used in recent times as a Yates Public House. The Lodge Room was on the first floor and Dinner was taken in the Ground Floor.
The Festive Board was something to behold. For example, following the Installation Meeting in 1934 – the dinner consisted of 10 courses!
A committee was formed from local Lodges to explore the possibilities of acquiring an alternative site which was suitable for a conversion. A fund was inaugurated and donations were invited from local Masons. The Fund reached the sum of c£500.00. The project was put on hold because of the outbreak of the Second World War.
In 1944 W.Bro. Harold Nock found a suitable property on the Warwick Road called "Glenngariff”. The Committee secured the property which included approx. 3 ½ acres for £3,500.
This purchase was approved, but as no Company had been reistered, W.Bro. Nock and W.Bro. Scott-Adie signed the contract and accepted the responsibility. Completion was affected in April 1945 in the names of these two Brethren as Trustees.
In 1946 various restrictions made the conversion of the property to Masonic purposes impracticable. The property was sold at a profit which was added to the existing funds.
In July 1955. In response to representations of W.Bro, Donald S. Icke, a meeting of all the Solihull Lodges was convened by the then Provincial Grand Master for Warwickshire, R.W. Bro. The Very Rev. Michael Clarke, M.A., Provost of Birmingham, with a view to reviving interest in the project for more suitable Masonic premises in Solihull.
A Committee was formed to investigate and report on all aspects.
The Robing Rooms in the Knowle Masonic Centre is named after W Bro Icke for his endeavours.
In May 1956, a meeting of representatives of the Solihull Lodges and associated Masonic bodies was convened to receive their report which confirmed that to build and equip a Masonic Temple would involve a cost beyond the available resources.
The Commitee heard that extensive alterations to The George Hotel, Solihull, were projected so made an approach to the Directors of Ansells Brewery Ltd. An Agreement was made in consideration of a premium payment and an annual rent, Ansell's agreed to provide a new Masonic Suite for a period of 21 years (left).
A Company, limited by Guarantee, was therefore formed and incorporated on the 5th day of April 1957, under the name of The Solihull Masonic Temple Limited for the purpose of concluding the necessary formalities and to carry on the administration and management of the premises.
Four of the Solihull Lodges, namely :-
Forest of Arden Lodge No 3826
Silhill Lodge No 4786
Shenstonian Lodge No 5544
Lodge of Alliance No 5811
were associated in the formation of the Company and each of these Lodges appointed two of its members to serve as Directors.
Many of the Brethren from all the Lodges contributed to the success of this venture by contribution to Temple Fund and/or by free gift of their professional and business talents. The financing of the Temple and the provision of the furnishings were made by generous donation of the Brethren of the four Lodges.
The arrangements at The George Hotel served the Brethren of the Solihull Lodges and other Orders until 1993 when The George Hotel was purchased by the Jarvis Hotel Group. The new owners gave notice they would not be renewing the lease on the Masonic Suite.
This started the next Chapter of the Solihull Temple.
All of the Solihull units looked for premises to hold their meetings. In the meantime thet Lodges met at alternative venues such as Stirling Road and The Yenton Assembly Rooms in Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon, and even The Red Lion Inn in Knowle High Street. The Brethren were able to recover all the contents of the Temple room including chairs, pedestals. lights, Honours Boards and even the two friezes of the Ruffians off the wall.
After a significant search a very large Victorian house called Linwood Lodge was found.on the current site of Knowle Masonic Centre.
Dr, Bower, the Chairman of Knowle Society was contacted to ensure that the Knowle High Street maintained its character, to ensure no objections to the building being used for Masonic meetings. The Society agreed that as long as the original Victorian house remained intact there would be no objections to the change of its use to “a meeting hall”.
Large sheds in the grounds had collapsed in many places. They were overgrown with rhododendrons and laurel bushes growing through the roofs. The sheds had been used to manufacture essences such as Vanilla, Orange, Almond etc. for catering purposes.
The conversion was feasible and it was agreed to enter into negotiations. The house also came with two tenants in the top floor. Peter and David Buckley who had returned from the War in 1946 had lived there ever since. The purchase had a condition that they be able to continue living there. They helped in the kitchens set up the Dining area and tended the gardens before the car parking was extended.
The funding to complete the purchase of the new building and renovation work came from the Solihull Masonic Temple Co Ltd, who held the proceeds from the sale of an investment property on Marshall Lake Road, Shirley which had been well maintained and was worth substantial sum.
A decision was made to construct an office block adjacent to the main building which could be sold and the proceeds directed to the project. A bridging loan was agred with a local Bank to make available the funds.
The conversion and additional building work, overseen by W.Bro. Keith W. Reynolds, a local Architectural Consultant, progressed and finally it was completed in November 1994 and the Lodges moved to the newly converted Masonic Temple at 1621 Warwick Road, Knowle.
To recognise the enormous amount to effort and dedication to bring about the completion of the new premises by two senior brethren the Robing rooms were named after them – “The Ken Haskins Room” and “The Donald S. Icke Room”. A fitting tribute to recognise their contribution to the development of the new Temple.
The proceeds of the sale of the office block were sufficient to repay the outstanding loans and secure Freemasonry in Solihull for the future. The Knowle Masonic Centre is now home to 18 Craft Masonic units together with 18 units of other Degrees and provides excellent facilities. Involvement in the Community is a key element at Knowle and the Dining Room is utilised for meetings and Lunch by both the Solihull Probus Club and Knowle Probus Club and more recently Sliming World.
.Thank you to W. Bro. John Handley for the above history of Solihull Masonic Temple which was taken from the booklet "A History of Silhill Lodge No. 4786" presented at the Centenary meeting of Silhill Lodge in June 2026.



